Post 2 ___ Why did you choose this career/study programme?

 Level 3 - Post 2 (week 4) Why did you choose this career/study programme?



Write about:
- your dream jobs when you were a child
- other career options that you had at the moment of applying to university
- what made you decide in the end
- your experience at university until now
- the kind of job you would like to have

 > word count: 120 words

 > don't forget to leave comments on 3 of your classmates posts and on your teacher's post as well.

______________________

I studied English Linguistics, and I always thought "what would my future job be?". And here I am!!

I always wanted to have a fun, light, easy going and not too hard to do job, but always wanted to be with people.

From all the many areas I could work in, I always wanted something neither too-much outdoors nor indoors, furthermore I wanted something that would produce some kind of social change, a good important and deep change.

In other matters, I wanted to travel, to see the world, to meet strange people, well... strange meaning, different than me and my friends and family. With teaching languages, I have been able to do all the former, which leads me to think it was the right choice.

I tried working in an office once, in a job that was not as stressful as a teacher's job but after a year, and after missing the classrooms a lot, I decided to go back to stressful, challenging but rewarding teaching.

Nowadays, I am thinking on taking up on PHD studies in the field of Applied Linguistics, I would like to do it either in the Netherlands, Switzerland and/or England. 

I would like to do it in those countries, well, in the two first ones because they have a long history of successful multilingualism and because they are definitely good at languages. England on the other hand, would be my last choice, and this is because of a fact that gave birth to a joke, that is, - and please, no offense-, but the joke says: "how do you call a person who speaks only one language? […] you call them British"...LOL

Comments

  1. When I was in school, my first choice of a university career was linguistics in English! I wanted to travel a lot, to know places and people too, but opt ​​for journalism

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said "Netherlands" I readed "Neverland" and I though in you like Peter pan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to have fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fifth option was to study English Linguistics too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should go to new zealand, its a great place to learn english, and met people, in beautiful places

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think, you should try to do the PhD in England because they have a magnificent Linguistics program

    ReplyDelete

  7. How great that you like to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. when I was in school I was between studying film and tv or journalism, I was very wrong to choose journalism :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prayed to know that I had to study. xD

    ReplyDelete

  10. I find it great to know different languages, especially English since it opens a world of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my objetives with my work is always have fun, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post 6: Sexism Shown in a Fiction Character that I Love.

Post 8 : A Subject you've enjoyed studying this semester

Post 9: A Movie Scene I love.